This is one of the few weeks all year where I do not relate many posts to Long Island. Unless of course Arjun Atwal drives down Magnolia Lane Sunday night wearing a Green Jacket with a yellow emblem on it.
But I’m not sure you, the loyal reader, minds very little because it is the Masters, after all.
So throughout the week I’ll be sharing my favorite Masters memories, most of which I only read and heard about and didn’t witness with my own eyes. But they will all relate somehow to the 2011 version.
Also, follow me on twitter (@AJVoelpel) as I’ll be getting my Masters on all damn week.
- It’s been 25 years since Nicklaus’ charge at the Masters. Also 25 years since Seve’s water chunk on 15 and Norman’s wide right on 18.
- @defiantlydutch replied to me on twitter: “I was in 7th grade for Nicklaus’ miracle W. I don’t think I want to know how old u were (or weren’t)!” I was in fact one year and two months old. But I was definitely watching.
- Geez: 1,2,5,9,11,13,18. Augusta National houses more doglegs than Cruella De Vil
- It’s been 50 years since Gary Player became The Masters first international victor. Thanks to a helping hand behind 15 green on Saturday.
- And since this is the 75th version of The Masters, we may as well pay homage to Horton Smith for winning the first one. And third.
- Player’s 3 Masters wins (’61,’75,’78) netted him 100k. Crenshaw’s ’84 victory earned him 108k, the tourney’s 1rst century check.
- In addition to Nicklaus, it’s the 25th anniversary of Jim Nantz calling his first Masters. He was 26. I’m 26 and writing this.
- Since it’s been 40 years, let’s celebrate Charles Coody’s Masters win in ’71. He only out dueled J. Miller and Jack on the back 9 by making birdies on 15 & 16 to win by two shots.
- Forget 25 years of Jack, how bout 60 years since Hogan’s first Masters win in ’51. A bogey-free 68 Sunday earned him a cool $1.5K.
- 15 years later we still feel for Greg Norman & his Sunday 78 in ’96 to blow a six-shot lead. But what about Ken Venturi’s 80 in ’56 that melted a 4-shot lead?
- 20 years ago, Maxfli began producing balls reluctant to roll down steep, slippery banks. Good thing Couples picked one up in ’92.
- No, there’s no running at Augusta. Except when Jack eagles 15 and birdies 16 & 17 to take the lead. Must. Get. To 18 green!
- The Masters was first televised in ’56. Just in time to see Jackie Burke Jr. come from 8 back on Sunday to claim his first jacket.
- 59 years ago, Ben Hogan began the very proud tradition- Master’s Champion’s Dinner. Which Sandy Lyle ruined in ’89 by serving Haggis.
- Yup, it’s been 50 years since Player’s first Masters win. It’s also 50 years since Arnie’s double bogey on 18 (needed par to win) let him.
- 4-day badges going for $4,018 on GotTickets.com. That’s $18 more than Ben Hogan won for his second jacket in ’53